Submission on Halswell Skate and Recreation Park - Site Selection
See the consultation document on the CCC website here:
Prepared by Brittany Kremers,Christchurch Youth Council Executive Member
Research obtained via a survey on the Christchurch Youth Council website. (http://www.chchyouthcouncil.org.nz)
Our comments and suggestions on the proposed locations are based around research obtained via a survey on the Christchurch Youth Council website (http://www.chchyouthcouncil.org.nz):
From the participants surveyed which were in the average age group of 17-20 year olds, 80 percent stated that The Halswell Domain would be best suited for the Skate and Recreation Park. The other 20 percent stated Scott Park would be suitable, due to its proximity to the centre of Halswell.
The reasons given were mainly that it was close to the centre of Halswell and especially as there were already other useful facilities around. These facilities include public toilets, public pool, club rooms and a playground. There was comment made that the area was suitable as there would be no need to demolish buildings to allow for the Skate and Recreation Park.
It would be an exciting new development for the Halswell Domain area and would pull together the fact that there are ‘other key things’ nearby that would compliment the Skate and Recreation Park. As the park would be well utilised by all age groups, there is definitely a need for public toilets nearby, and this idea provides for that.
So in conclusion, based on the data collected, our survey participants primarily believe the community would benefit by having a skate park situated in the Halswell Domain, as it is a self-contained, safe space close to many other amenities. It would allow users to access a skate park right on their doorsteps, as opposed to needing to travel so far.
You can keep up to date with what we're doing for young people in Christchurch here. Join in the conversation!
VOLUNTEER HOURS 2019 (so far): 1285.45 HOurs cyc members log their own hours, this is what we've done so far)
“If you ever think you’re too small to be effective,